Brexit: information for agents

Last updated 12 February 2020

brooke cagle uHVRvDr7pg unsplashbanner

EU/EEA students can come to study English in the UK as usual until end of December 2020

On 31 January 2020 the UK formally left the European Union. We are now in a transition period until 31 December 2020. During this period, the future relationship between the UK and European Union will be decided.

The UK's decision to leave the European Union does not currently affect entry requirements for international students.

Until 31 December 2020, agents can continue to send EU/EEA/Swiss students to study in the UK as usual. After this date, there will be some changes to the entry requirements for EU students.

There will be a new immigration system for all visitors from January 2021, but details have not been confirmed

The UK government has not yet decided the details of the new system. Under current government plans, all visitors will require a passport to enter the UK. 

Will students still be able to use ID cards to enter the UK?

Students from the EU, EEA and Switzerland can currently enter the UK with their passport or ID card. This may change in 2021.

The UK government says there will be no change to travel document requirements in 2020, and that they will announce any changes in advance.

We encourage you to share the video below to reassure students that they can travel as usual until at least 2021.


What will happen to Erasmus+ programmes?

Erasmus+ funding is guaranteed until the end of the academic year in 2021.

Future funding will be subject of negotiations during the transition period.

List of Travellers scheme for non-EEA national school pupils

The List of Travellers scheme will continue during 2020. The UK government says that the scheme will not end immediately on 1 January 2021 but it may be phased out.
For 2020, non-EEA students who are travelling as part of a group of EEA students will continue to be able to travel without a visa if they are listed on the form.

Confused? Contact English UK for advice

If you are unclear about this information, please contact the English UK team.