PRELIM: UK ELT supporting overseas English language teachers
The Partnered Remote Language Improvement project (PRELIM) supports the development of thousands of English language teachers across the world.
Funded by the British Council and run jointly by the British Council, IATEFL and English UK, with NILE as managing consultants, the project funds the delivery of tailor-made online courses which seek to raise English teachers' language confidence in countries from Guinea-Bissau to Palestine, from India to Nicaragua.
All projects are delivered by an Accreditation UK centre who works with IATEFL-associated English Teaching Associations (ETA) in each participating nation.
PRELIM I was a huge success and the British Council since secured a further £500,000 of funding for PRELIM II, enabling twice as many countries and accredited centres to take part.
Did PRELIM I achieve its aims?
PRELIM I, delivered in February and March 2021, saw 17 English UK member centres including universities and small family-run institutions, deliver 20 bespoke, innovative online courses to different teaching associations around the world. The project:
- reached around 3,000 overseas teachers
- increased teachers language proficiency and professional confidence
- created and supported partnerships between teachers, ETAs and English UK members
- created the opportunity for increased global contextual awareness and teacher training capacity of English UK members, and
- built a sustainable community of practice.
Download the PRELIM I project report
PRELIM II is currently open for bids - all English UK member centres are welcome to apply.