First Aid in Mental Health: a qualification for UK ELT professionals
Learn to identify, understand and support people experiencing mental ill health
First aid in mental health training helps you to identify and understand people who may be experiencing mental ill health and learn to respond. This training is delivered from an ELT perspective so you may better know how to care for students and staff in your English language teaching centre.
Dates for the next course are to be confirmed. Please contact us to register interest in attending a future session.
About the course
What does the training cover?
- Understanding what mental health is, why people develop mental health conditions and the role of a first aider for mental health
- Know how to provide advice and practical support for a person presenting a mental health condition
- Know how to recognise and manage stress
- Know how to recognise a range of mental health conditions
- Understand the impact of substance abuse on mental health
- Understand the first aid action plan for mental health and be able to put it in to place
- Know how to implement a positive mental health culture in the workplace.
- Be able to define mental health and indicate an understanding of the stigma surrounding mental health
- Be able to identify factors that affect a person's mental health
- Outline the advice that should be provided to a person suffering from a suspected mental health condition
- Know when to contact the emergency services in respect of first aid in mental health
- Identify signs or stress and how it can be managed
- State signs and /or symptoms for the following mental health conditions: depression, anxiety, psychosis, eating disorders, suicide, self-harm
- State potential effects of alcohol and drug abuse on a person's mental health
- Understand the application of the first aid action plan for mental health
- Understand key factors in providing a positive mental health culture in the workplace.
Upon successful completion of the qualification assessment, learners will be awarded the Ofqual regulated Level 2 Award in First Aid for Mental Health (RQF)/Award in First Aid for Mental Health at SCQF Level 5. This qualification is valid for three years from the date of achievement.
The trainer: Barbara Lewin
A freelance safeguarding trainer and consultant with many years' experience of working within the ELT sector, Barbara Lewin has a broad understanding of the complexities of the ELT industry. In more recent years, as group safeguarding manager she has delivered in-house training and advice, supporting DSLs within individual schools.
In 2016, Barbara founded and is the chair of the Sussex Safeguarding Forum. The Forum provides a network for Sussex based ELT schools to share advice and guidance and liaise with the relevant local authorities and delivers bespoke training within the region. Barbara has a background in HR and is an FCIPD. She is also a mental health first aider for both adult and youth.
Barbara works closely with Nigel Heritage, Kevin O'Donnell and Jessica Mosley to plan and develop relevant, informative and interactive ELT-specific safeguarding training sessions.