This joint Study UK/English UK mission to Sri Lanka, organised in partnership with UK Trade & Investment, follows a scoping visit that was undertaken to the market by English UK in November 2008 (please click here to download the scoping visit report).
Anticipated number of participants – 6-10
Dates – Tuesday 9 – Wednesday 10 February 2010
Monday 8 February 2010
Afternoon - mission participants arrive – meeting point @ The Cinnamon Grand Hotel
Evening – group meal
Tuesday 9 February 2010 – ‘understanding the market’
- Briefing by UKTI and British Council (including the political & economic situation and an overview of the education sector in Sri Lanka)
- Meeting with the visa team to gain a better understanding of the visa process for students from Sri Lanka
- Luncheon meeting with government officials (Secretary/Minister - Ministry of Education, Members of Presidential Task Force for English, officials responsible for Vocational Training etc.) to gain a better understanding of the Government’s policy and strategy
- Meeting with Board of Investment re. incentives for education investors
- Evening Reception at High Commission - wide range of education contacts invited
Wednesday 10 February 2010 – ‘doing business’
- Workshop providing an opportunity to meet with potential agents/partners (agents promoting organisations locally to students wishing to go abroad, agents/organisations delivering courses locally, agents looking to form JV organisations/companies to deliver provision locally etc) followed by a networking lunch. There may also be an opportunity for individual companies to give a short presentation about their centre and programmes.
- Afternoon - free for members to follow up on leads/meet their own contacts, or to undertake a bespoke programme based on their individual needs (arranged by the UK Trade & Investment Team through the chargeable Overseas Market Introduction Service)
- De-briefing and final group meal
The final programme will depend on the number of participants and their areas of interest.
The mission programme will cost GBP 500 per member centre. This will include:
- Organisational support before and during the mission from English UK, Study UK and the local UKTI team from the British High Commission in Colombo
- Airport transfer by mini-bus
- Local group transport within Colombo by mini-bus
- Morning market briefing at the British High Commission
- Group lunch on day 1 with government officials
- Evening reception at the British High Commission (drinks & canapés)
- Half-day workshop on day 2 (including lunch)
- Group evening meals on Monday 8 February and Wednesday 10 February
In addition to this, you will have to budget for your accommodation (see below) and flights to Sri Lanka.
The Cinnamon Grand is the marker hotel for the British High Commission - www.cinnamonhotels.com (these prices are an estimate only – exact costs will depend on the exchange rate):
- Single B/B Basis GBP 67 (incl. tax)
- Double B/B Basis GBP 74 (incl. tax)
If you would like to take part in the mission, please email Jodie Gray (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible (places are limited).
previous entry << >> next entry