Getting advice


Agents and educational consultants are partners of English UK and accredited English language centres. They can help you if you need advice on choosing the language centre or course that's right for you.

Though you can find lots of information on the internet, there is no substitute for talking with someone who knows about the courses, the providers, the different regions of the UK, and the costs. They can arrange accommodation and travel too.

Some agents charge a fee for advice, but most receive commission from the language centre so they can provide their advice free to students. To find an agency in your country, use our agency finder.

In many countries there are also agent associations that help to ensure good practice among agents. Find the best contact for you on our agent associations list.

If your country doesn't appear on the list, your local British Council office may be able to recommend some reputable agencies.

Immigration, pre-departure & orientation

The British Council aim to help all international students have a positive experience in the UK. They do this by giving students guidance on preparing for a visa, preparing for coming to the UK and settling in safely once they arrive. For full details of their work in this area, visit the Study UK website.