Do you need health insurance?

Ask the health authorities in your home country about the treatment that will be covered for you in the UK. If you are not entitled to treatment through the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK, it is highly recommended that you take out medical insurance before you leave home, or as soon as possible after you arrive.

For a list of the UK's health agreements with other countries, visit the Department of Health website

For more useful information, download the British Council's free guide Studying and living in the UK.

Making sure your possessions are covered

English UK recommends all students think about insurance when planning their trip to the UK. You should insure your luggage and personal possessions while you're travelling and during your stay.

About Endsleigh – English UK's recommended insurer

Endsleigh, in association with English UK, has produced a travel insurance policy specifically designed for international students who come to the UK to study English.

Endsleigh Insurance Services Limited was originally formed in 1965 by the National Union of Students (NUS). Endsleigh is the largest student insurance company in the UK, and their International Student policy is the only insurance policy specifically endorsed by English UK.

Why do you need insurance?

You should consider purchasing travel insurance to protect yourself and belongings. You should make sure you have adequate medical insurance to cover medical costs if you fall ill, and also to cover any additional costs resulting from illness. These can be substantial and include:

  • Loss of fees if you are unable to complete your course
  • Additional treatment and medical cost not covered by the NHS
  • Cost of returning home if a close relative is taken ill
  • Cost of a close relative visiting you in the UK if you fall ill
  • Returning you to your home country for treatment

Even if you are entitled to free NHS treatment whilst in the UK, (this would depend on your country of origin and the duration of your stay) you should consider taking out insurance to cover the above additional costs.

What is covered in Endsleigh's policy?

Below is a summary of the benefits of Endsleigh's International Student policy:

Your cover


Limit of Cover

What am I covered for if I have a medical problem?


  • If you are taken ill or have an accident we will pay your emergency medical bills and hospital costs that are not covered by the National Health Service

GBP 2,000,000

  • The cost of bringing a friend or close relative to the UK to visit you following a medical emergency (GBP 2,000,000)
  • Additional costs incurred to repatriate you if medically necessary
  • Reasonable costs to return home if a close relative is seriously ill
  • Emergency dental treatment for the immediate relief of pain

GBP 500

  • In the event of death, we will pay for the funeral costs in the UK plus cover reasonable costs to return your ashes home or reasonable costs to repatriate your body

GBP 5,000

What if I take the private medical option?

  • All your medical emergencies will be immediately treated privately

GBP 2,000,000

What cover do I have if I have an accident or I am attacked or mugged?

  • Payment for permanent loss of, or loss of use of limbs or senses or death

GBP 30,000 (subject to age)

What cover do I have while travelling to and from home at the beginning or end of term?

  • You will be reimbursed if your luggage is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged

GBP 1,000

  • We will help replace your passport, or visa if they are lost or stolen

GBP 500

  • Money stolen either from your person or while locked away will be replaced

GBP 100

What if I need some legal help?

  • If you accidentally injure someone or damage their property, we will cover your legal liability to pay damages

GBP 1,000,000

  • Advice and assistance to take legal action is covered

GBP 10,000

Are my course fees covered?

  • If you have to cancel your course, cut it short or repeat it due to accident or sickness of yourself or close relative, we will reimburse your prepaid course fees proportionately

GBP 8,000


How do I purchase an International Student insurance policy?

Endsleigh provides this service in conjunction with the majority of English UK member centres. To purchase a policy contact the admission office at the institution where you will be studying prior to your departure to the UK and they will be able to arrange this for you.

My centre does not offer insurance, what should I do?

If the institution where you will be studying does not offer this service please contact Endsleigh direct and inform them of the name of the centre via email at

To purchase a policy direct from Endsleigh you will need the following information:

  • Your arrival date in the UK
  • The date you depart the UK
  • Your age, unless part of a group and the name of the eldest traveller is required
  • Your title
  • Your forename
  • Your family name
  • Your date of birth in the format of DD/MM/YYYY.
  • Your telephone number: 
  • Your UK address and postcode
  • Your home address
  • Your credit or debit card details 

To arrange instant cover and access documents online click here.