Save UK ELT day of action: Monday 19 July
Join us in Westminster on Monday 19 July for our save #UKELT day of action.
Old Palace Yard, Westminster SW1P 3JY (note we are no longer meeting in College Green)
Monday 19 July, 14:00 to 16:00
Express your interest in attending the College Green event
The aims of the College Green event are:
- To protest at the lack of government support for UK ELT.
- To call on the government to provide business rates relief to ALL English language schools and until 2022.
- To call on the government to provide targeted grant support for ELT centres.
- To meet constituency MPs in Westminster to help make them aware of the desperate situation that English language schools face due to the pandemic and the ongoing restrictions on international travel.
- To connect with colleagues who are taking part in the UKLC fundraising activity '500 miles for UK ELT' which aims to highlight the plight of UK ELT and will end its journey at College Green.
How to make your voice heard
We are inviting members and the wider ELT community to join us at College Green in Westminster, London SW1P 3JY. We encourage you to bring a placard (feel free to repurpose the visuals that we will be sharing on social media). Ideas for messaging: Save #UKELT day of action | Save English language travel | Save English language schools | Save language travel | #UKELT needs support now – help save English language schools. We will invite members of the trade press to the event so be aware that photographs and video footage may be taken and shared publicly. When you register to attend, there is a consent form asking you to opt-in to the use of photos and film for publicity purposes.
Invite your MP
We encourage you to invite your constituency MP to meet you on College Green from 14:00 and have have created a MP letter template for you to use. When inviting your MP we suggest you do so from your private email address, and include your name and home address so the MP knows you are based in their constituency. Please also let me know via email email@example.com if you manage to secure a meeting.
UKLC fundraising expedition
We will be joined on College Green by those who are taking place in the final stage of UKLC's fundraising expedition, 500 miles for UK ELT. The final stage on Monday 19 July will see the fundraisers cycle 75 miles from Chichester to London King's College and then to Queen Mary University London. Members are welcome to join UKLC and colleagues for the final leg, which is the 4.6 mile walk from Queen Mary University London in Mile End to College Green in Westminster.
UKLC's 500 miles for UK ELT is hoping to raise £3,000 for the Eddie Byers Fund. Visit their JustGiving page to donate.
previous entry << >> next entry