UK ELT market intelligence: student statistics from quarter one 2022
The latest figures on the UK's ELT source markets from our Quarterly Intelligence Cohort - QUIC show the incremental growth (seen throughout 2021) continued in quarter one (Q1) 2022. The volume of student weeks per centre has not yet, however, reached anything near pre-pandemic levels.
This in-depth quarterly statistics initiative, produced in collaboration with our insight partner BONARD, comprises of 36% English UK member centres. Whilst the full report and excel datasets are exclusive to the QUIC participants, top lines are made publicly available. It's the most up-to-date intelligence available to monitor and understand the pattern of market recovery.
Revealed by 120 QUIC members in Q1 2022
- Of their 227 teaching premises, 100 were operational
- 77,302 student weeks: 96% adult, 4% juniors
- Top five adult source markets: Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Japan, Turkey and Brazil
- Top five junior source markets: Chile, Thailand, Argentina, Spain and France
- Group bookings 9% of the total (in pre-Covid years about 20% were group bookings).
Through collecting the full data set from participants in 2022, for the first time since 2019, we've been able to return to including historical comparative analysis.
Q1 year-on-year performance (n=119 centres)
- Overall student weeks were up 172% on Q1 2021
- Junior student weeks up 4,650% and adult up 163%
- Although both junior and adult student weeks increased significantly, the volumes of student weeks per centre have not yet reached pre-pandemic levels.
- Traditionally strong markets of Italy, South Korea and China fell down the rankings.
- The distribution of adult course types showed the traditional first-quarter pattern.
We're grateful to all our QUIC participants for committing their time and resources to submit quarterly data.
previous entry << >> next entry