In this difficult time for the ELT industry and international education community, we are doing our best to still provide for our members.
Where possible, we are moving English UK training that is essential to running your centre online. This is to ensure that when students are again travelling to the UK that we are prepared and up to the best standard possible. This includes our safeguarding and recruiting safely trainings, and more.
If you are already booked on a training session, you will have been contacted directly and your booking will have been automatically moved to the online session. For all of our upcoming training, visit our training calendar.
We are still running webinars on teaching online, online safeguarding, managing your teams remotely, and more. Visit our Covid-19 page for up to date information for UK ELT.
Recruit safely for the best working and learning environment
What should English language centres be aware of when recruiting staff? What can centres get in place now to ensure recruiting is safe and follows inspection guidelines? Recruiting safely for your ELT centre is vital for the wellbeing of your students and, for accredited centres, in keeping up with compliance.
What does the training cover?
- Understanding the background
- Recognising the abuser and how they operate
- Implications for the process of recruiting safely starting with writing the advert, through interviewing and post appointment
- Legal and compliance: Accreditation UK
- The need for ongoing vigilance; a safer school.
- Identifying key aspects of recruiting safely that help to prevent the appointment of unsuitable people
- Understanding the importance of each step in the process of recruiting safely.
- Practical suggestions for overcoming typical challenges, especially when recruiting must happen quickly
- From these points, being able to review their own organisation's practices to make them safer
This training event is a half day workshop running from 13:15 to 17:30. Tea, coffee and refreshments are provided. Participants will receive a certificate from the trainer at the end of the session.
Book a place
Book your place on English UK's Recruiting safely in ELT training. The half day session is £80 for English UK members and £150 for non-members.
About the trainer: Barbara Lewin
previous entry << >> next entry
A freelance safeguarding trainer and consultant with many years' experience of working within the ELT sector, Barbara has a broad understanding of the complexities of the ELT industry.
In more recent years, as group safeguarding manager she has delivered in-house training and advice, supporting DSLs within individual schools. In 2016, Barbara founded and is the chair of the Sussex Safeguarding Forum. The Forum provides a network for Sussex based ELT schools to share advice and guidance and liaise with the relevant local authorities and delivers bespoke training within the region. Barbara has a background in HR and is an FCIPD. She is also a mental health first aider for both adult and youth.
Barbara works closely with Nigel Heritage, Kevin O'Donnell and Jessica Mosley to plan and develop relevant, informative and interactive ELT-specific safeguarding training sessions.