Student complaints procedure

Complaints against English UK language centres are rare. But, if you are experiencing problems, there are procedures to help you.

The first step

All accredited centres have an internal complaints process, so your first step should always be to speak to the designated person at your centre. Following receipt of a complaint, English UK will attempt to mediate in the first instance.

Making a complaint through English UK

If mediation fails, the way we will handle your complaint will depend on the course provider you're studying with.

The ombudsman's judgement is final and must be accepted by both parties.

For private schools and language centres, English UK will attempt to mediate. If this fails, the complaint can be put to the independent Ombudsman, who will issue an adjudication which is binding on the school.

For universities, you may approach the office of the independent adjudicator for student complaints. Visit for more details.

For further education colleges, academic issues can be referred to the awarding body of the qualification for which you are studying. Non-academic issues will be reviewed within the institution, and serious complaints of principle may be referred to the Education and Skills Funding Agency

Download our short information sheet to find out your next steps.

Student Complaints Procedure Information Sheet

Complaints from agents

We will accept complaints from agents on behalf of a group if the following conditions are met:

  • The complaint refers to an aspect or aspects of the group's experience at the language school - e.g. accommodation, tuition, transport, activities. Other types of complaint, such as those relating to visa refunds, would need to be raised by the individual(s) affected
  • The agent would need to identify those members of the group (only) who wish to raise the complaint and must obtain written permission from those students or their parents/next of kin to raise the complaint on their behalf
  • The agent can only ask for compensation for the students affected and cannot propose some other form of resolution such as a discounted course for another student or group
  • We reserve the right to ask for individual complaints – e.g. if the group members' complaints are too diverse to be treated meaningfully as whole.